The homemade yogurt sauce is a very versatile sauce that can accompany a wide variety of dishes. We encourage you to prepare it at home and we offer you all the possible alternatives to this delicious recipe.
We can prepare most of the sauces we buy at the supermarket at home. This is why we are explaining to you today how to prepare a delicious and versatile homemade yogurt sauce to combine with any type of dish.
The benefits of homemade sauces
- Some of the benefits of making our own sauces at home are:
We can customize them with the ingredients we prefer
- We use fresh ingredients and the sauces are fresh when we eat them. This preserves all the beneficial properties of yogurt, in this case
- They are cheaper, especially if you take into account that you only prepare the necessary quantity
- We avoid leftovers that could spoil, especially with perishable ingredients once opened, like yogurt
- We can adapt them to the needs of the people who will consume them. In the case of yogurt sauce, we can use lactose-free yogurt if someone is lactose intolerant or vegetable yogurt if someone is vegan, for example
Homemade yogurt sauce: a sauce with multiple variations
There are as many yogurt sauces as you can imagine. Indeed, yogurt goes very well with other ingredients such as aromatic herbs, spices or pickles. Thus, one can obtain a salty, spicy, sweet, or sweet and sour sauce. Everything will depend on the dish with which we are going to accompany it.
If we like lighter and lighter sauces, we will use plain yogurt; we can extend it with a little water.
On the other hand, if we like them thick or if we want to make the sauce for dipping, we will choose a whole yogurt or Greek yogurt. You can add pickles, olives, or well-chopped anchovies. The result will be a homemade yogurt sauce with more body.
How do you use homemade yogurt sauce in the kitchen?
Homemade yogurt sauce has countless uses in cooking. Let’s take a look at some of them.
Aperitif in a dipping sauce
In this case, it is something that looks like a very thick sauce. It can accompany a starter made with hummus and guacamole, in which you can dip vegetable sticks, toast or pita bread.
In this case, we recommend using plain Greek yogurt and seasoning it with spices or fresh herbs according to your tastes.
Do you like kebabs, burritos, or vegetable sandwiches? So the Greek tzatziki sauce is the most suitable to accompany this type of preparation. It is perhaps one of the best-known yogurt sauces. Its flavor will refresh our mouths and give the whole filling a richness.
Sauce to season salads
This sauce is used to season green salads, rice, pasta or legumes, and even to accompany delicious steamed vegetables.
Try replacing traditional dressings with this alternative. In addition, it will add smoothness to the dish, while being lighter, digestible, and low in fat compared to sauces prepared with cream or cheese.
To accompany hot dishes
The yogurt sauce is suitable for both meat and fish recipes. It goes well with lamb stews, but also simpler dishes, such as grilled chicken breasts.
If you want to accompany fish dishes like salmon or hake, mix yogurt with dill, chives, curry, or a little mustard.
Homemade yogurt sauce: the basic recipe
As we have already seen, we can make several types of yogurt sauce. However, there are a few basic ingredients you can’t miss when talking about an authentic yogurt sauce.
Here are the ingredients we will need for 4 people:
- 250 gr of yogurt (2 classic commercial yogurts). To make the basic sauce, we will choose plain yogurt, that of always; we’ll make sure it’s sugar-free. Be wary of 0% yogurt or low-fat yogurt as it usually contains added sweeteners
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil. We can use other sweeter vegetable oils if we find the taste very strong, but we should always choose cold-pressed, unrefined vegetable oils
- 50 cl lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pour all the ingredients into a bowl, starting with the yogurt, oil, and lemon juice. Salt, pepper and mix well with a spoon until everything is integrated. If you are not going to eat it right away, keep it in the fridge overnight.
It’s as simple and good as that! From this recipe, we can add all the ingredients we want. We hope it will be a great success in your kitchen!