Smoked Tandoori Chicken is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that is known for its bold and spicy flavors. The dish is made by marinating chicken in a mixture of yogurt, spices, and lemon juice, then slow-smoking it until it is juicy and tender. Here is a simple recipe for making Smoked Tandoori Chicken, along with the steps for the best results:
- 4 lbs bone-in chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, legs, wings)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, cayenne pepper (if using), and salt.
- Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and toss to coat them in the marinade. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Prepare your smoker according to the manufacturer’s instructions and set it to 250°F. If you don’t have a smoker, you can use a charcoal or gas grill.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and discard the marinade. Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels.
- Brush the chicken pieces with a light coating of vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
- Place the chicken pieces on the grates of the smoker and smoke for 2-3 hours, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Serve the Smoked Tandoori Chicken hot, garnished with fresh cilantro or mint leaves, if desired.
- For best results, use bone-in chicken pieces, as they will hold up better during the smoking process and have more flavor.
- Marinating the chicken for as long as possible for the best flavor. Overnight is ideal, but 4 hours is the minimum.
- To ensure that the chicken stays juicy and tender, be sure to smoke it slowly at a low temperature.
- Serve the Smoked Tandoori Chicken with rice, flatbreads, or a cooling raita for a complete and satisfying meal.
With its bold flavors and juicy, tender meat, Smoked Tandoori Chicken is a crowd-pleaser that is sure to be a hit at your next barbecue or family gathering. Enjoy!